Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ornament for Christmas

The other day when we were playing in the guest room (our favorite nighttime play area), Blythe opened a drawer and found a box. In it was a Christmas ornament that had been forgotten about. She asked if she could have it. I said. "No, it's an ornament for Christmas". She ended up bringing it downstairs where it has sat for the last couple of days. She picked it up today after dinner and this is how the conversation went:
BLYTHE: This is for Christmas?
ME: Yep
BLYTHE: I like Christmas
ME: Yep, me too
BLYTHE: I remember Christmas
ME: Mmm hmm
BLYTHE: I remember he held me. I like him.

So this is when I realize she thinks Christmas is a person. So I'm trying to explain that Christmas is not a person, it's a holiday, a celebration, kind of like a birthday "you get presents for your birthday and you get presents for Christmas". It's pretty hard to explain a non-tangible thing to a 2 year old. I'm sure once she watches "Frosty the Snowman" again, the whole Christmas thing will come right back to her. We watched that at least 57 times last year and watched it well into probably February.

Daddy came back from his trip today. Blythe says to him, "Why'd you come home?". Nothing like feelin the love (or lack thereof). She saved herself by saying she was glad he was home and didn't want him to leave again.

No comments: