Saturday, January 31, 2009

Shoe shopping

Well I made it through the work week...barely. Really was not one of my better weeks, but oh well. In the past now.

This morning we had gymnastics (or nextix as Blythe likes to call it). It's a 30 minute class for 2 and 3 year olds. They do one "focus routine" each time and the rest of the 30 minutes is a free-for-all. Today the focus was balance beam. Right before we left the house this morning, Blythe told me she didn't want to do balance beam, so I wasn't sure if she would. But of course right after they said it, she proclaimed her love for the balance beam. Go figure. I would try to get some video footage of "nextix" class, except it's parent-participation-required. So I have to hold her hand on the balance beam or take her to the trampoline, or help her with the uneven bars. And, oh yeah, I have Ethan too. So I also have him in a backpack on me. And since it's parent-participation-required, all the kids do what they want and don't listen to anything the parents tell them. So when I say "try jumping with your hands in the air" or "try doing a somersault on this mat", I get "NO! I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT!". But if I weren't there and the instructors were telling her what to do, I'm sure she'd do it no problem.

Ashley is in the gymnastics class too. So after class, Blythe went to Ashley's to play while I took Ethan home to take a nap. He fell asleep on the way home, which is not a good thing. However, I was able to rock him back to sleep at home and then I decided to just let him sleep on me for about an hour. It was nice to just do that. Made me feel like I was on maternity leave again (since I did a lot of that back then!).

A bit later, I picked up Blythe and took both kids to the shoe store to get some shoes. When Ethan turns 11 months in just a few days, he has to start wearing regular shoes to daycare so he can get used to them and so he can visit the toddler room occasionally to get ready for his move up when he turns one. And the lace up shoes he has are just not going to cut it on a daily basis. I'm not doing that battle daily it I don't have to. I got him some tennis shoes and some brown "casual" shoes. I also let Blythe pick out a pair for herself. Initially she was set on some red dress shoes, but fortunately I talked her out of those since she has maybe one red thing in her closet. Then she was set on some Disney princess light-up sandals. Seeing how it's like 18 degrees out, that wasn't a viable option either. They had some really cute Dora shoes. Twice in the last week she told me wanted Dora shoes. Then she told me again on our way to the store. So I found them and showed them to her. "Blythe, look! Dora shoes!!" And I got the "I don't WANT Dora shoes!" Of course not. So I found some shoes with butterflies on them and she was totally set on those. She put them on instantly and didn't take them off the whole day. She took them off before her nap, but when I went to wake her up she had them on. She took them off for her bath, but put them on almost as soon as she got out. Here's a visual of the shoes:



And here are the tennis shoes we got Ethan. Notice how he is NOT wearing them.

He actually did wear them for a little bit. He acts like he doesn't know how to walk when he wears them. It's like his feet are glued to the ground. Won't even take a step. He'll have to get used to them eventually.

No comments: