Friday, January 9, 2009

Dear New Balance

I'm going to start trying something a little different with my blog (and since it's my blog and I can do anything I want, you'll just have to deal). Anyway, I'm going to put each blog into the form of a letter. To anyone. Someone different each day probably. I don't know, we'll see how it goes.






Dear New Balance,

I was wondering if you had any plans to develop an infant tennis shoe that was easier to put on a 10 month old. Maybe one where you didn't feel like you were breaking his toes and ankles at the same time while the child kicks and screams as you attempt to force them on his feet? This morning it took me at least 5 straight minutes to get each shoe on, and I just thought a great shoe company like yourselves could develop something better. Now granted, it was my son's first time wearing real shoes so he wasn't fond of them to say the least.

I am a loyal customer of New Balance. I buy them, my husband sometimes does, and I also buy them for my daughter. I actually didn't buy this particular New Balance shoe for my son, as they were given to him as a hand-me-down from a friend. I can see now why this friend didn't wear them much. After the long struggle to get them on his feet, I then had to tie the damn shoelaces. Really? Shoe laces on an infant size 4 shoe? What 10 month old is going to sit still while you try to tie their shoes (and then double tie for good measure)? Ridiculous if you ask me. I'm just glad I didn't actually drop money on these.

I do have to say that appearance-wise, they are nice. They actually make him look like a little boy rather than a baby. See here:








So I give you props for that aspect. They did initially stunt his mobility as he was not sure how to maneuver around in them (which actually wasn't so bad since he didn't make a beeline for the dog food and water dish or the toilet paper or the refrigerator or the pantry or the stairs, but then he started to cry because he couldn't move, and so then it became a not-so-good thing). Eventually he did start to figure out how to get around and even crawled inside the bin of Mega Blocks.




So to recap: the shoes are good on appearance but bad on ease of use and mobility.

I'm sure you are wondering if I am available for consulting work. If you pay me six figures and let me work from home, I will make myself available to you. I can be reached by home phone, cell phone or email (no longer by office line since my current employer is making cutbacks and forced me to drop my office phone number...but that's another story).

Sincerely,
Mary

No comments: