Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Who needs naps?

So the week of no day care continues. How do stay-at-home moms do it? Seriously. I get nothing done when the kids are here. Add to that the fact that I'm supposed to be working full time this week too, and and it gets pretty crazy. Fortunately, practically no one I work with is working this week, so that means there's not much going on. There were enough people to scrounge together for my weekly Wednesday meeting I run for my current project. Only problem was I have 2 kids at home and Braden was running practice this morning during my meeting. Thank goodness again for Blythe's friend Ashley and her mommy who had Blythe over for the whole morning and then some. My meeting happened to fall when Ethan takes his morning nap, so we were covered. Phew!

I picked up Blythe and we got back around 2pm, just in time for her nap. And she was starting to get Krr Anky, so I was glad to put her down. We read a story, kissed, hugged, etc. Then I put Ethan down. Took him a while, but I finally had them both down! Or not. I heard Blythe banging stuff around in her room, so I went in there to check. She had tried to baracade the door by moving her stool in front of it, but I was able to overcome the obstacle and enter her room. She was playing with her magnetic letters. As soon as I came in she said, "I'm just going to do 'T' and 'D' and then I'll take a nap". Okay. So FINALLY we were down for nap. I went downstairs to get back to work. A short while later Blythe came downstairs and declared she wasn't going to take a nap. Ugh! So this is a first. A first I an unto happy about. I have always said that whenever Blythe gives up naps, I will have her observe "quiet time" and play quietly in her room for an hour or so (hopefully more like two). So, I figured I might as well start that routine from the get go. I explained to her that she didn't have to take a nap, but that she had to play quietly in her room by herself while I worked for a while. I told her she had to stay there until Ethan woke up or until I came to get her. She was agreeable and off she went. She was in her room maybe 5 minutes before she made her way to my bedroom, then the bathroom, then the guest room, then back to her room, all the while slamming /quietly closing each door behind her until miraculously Ethan woke up. Go figure.

So we all came downstairs to get a snack. After I (smoked some crack) ate a cookie, I decided to take BOTH of my overtired children to Walmart to get groceries. Actually, I have no good stories from Walmart, as both kids were remarkably very good.

4 more full days until they are back at daycare, not that anyone's counting.

No comments: