Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ethan said his first word!

Ethan said his first word this morning! He's been saying "mama" and "dada" for weeks now, but I don't count those as real words (even though I guess they really are). Anyway, should have known my little chunk-a-roo who will eat anything you give him would have a first word of "cow".

His room is decorated with farm animals (and college penants...I know, they totally don't go together). He has a farm animal blanket hanging above his changing table and he always loves to touch the cow. Every day I tell him that's a cow. Yesterday he started trying to say it, but could only get out "Ga". Today he figured out the "Ka" sound and said that a few times. I kept working with him and he finally finished it and said "cow". He was SO proud of himself. We went and told Daddy and of course he would not repeat it again.

It's funny with those little ones. You really have to keep your ears open to hear what they are saying. It's not like they just start talking one day. With Blythe, I was the only one who heard her first word. She pointed to my dad and said "Pop" (which is what he went by before Blythe renamed him to "Poppa"). She said it so quietly only I heard her. Then I didn't catch another word out of her for at least a few more weeks. Made me question myself on whether she actually said it or if I just imagined she did. But when she did start up with a few more words, "pop" was definitely one of them, so it confirmed what I had heard. I'm thinking the same thing will happen with Ethan. I wouldn't be surprised if he says no words again for a few weeks. But we'll see.

No comments: