Monday, November 24, 2008

The wine bar

Our "weekend" project was to install a wine bar where this leaning desk used to be between our kitchen and living room.


Turned out to be more than a weekend project, as we didn't finish completely. It was quite the project! I had enlisted the help of my dad to help where needed (i.e. do the whole thing). He and my mom drove up on Saturday morning so my mom could watch the kids while my dad and I worked. While they were driving up, I took the kids with me to Lowe's to get a few supplies so we would be ready.

Ethan was a little tired, so normally I would have been a bit concerned about a meltdown, but I put both kids in the shopping cart "car" and they seemed happy. One of the steering wheels was missing, so Blythe insisted she had to drive, thus Princess Blythe got her way, and poor Ethan had to sit there with no steering wheel. Blythe wouldn't look at me for a picture, so this is the best I could get on my cell phone.



All was good until I really had to use the restroom. I had to get the kids out of the cart and take them with me. Fortunately we got into the handicap stall, but as soon as I put Ethan down he did his whole back-arching and crying routine (just too tired). So I had to hold him on my lap while I went. And he was crying the whole time. And Blythe was in there too yelling "Mommy, I have to poop!....MOMMY I HAVE TO POOP!" All the while I'm holding a screaming baby and telling Blythe she has to wait til I'm done. So that was loads of fun. There were 2 positives: 1. the bathroom in Lowe's is new and clean, 2. no one else was in there.


So we started on the project on Saturday and worked all day and then woke up Sunday morning and worked all day. We didn't quite finish. Still need to secure the countertop, add the crown molding, the shoe molding, and the lower cabinet hardware. But it looks beautiful! A great addition to the house that will definitely free up some cabinet space for me in the kitchen. Here's a pic (and instead of telling Blythe to say "cheese", we told her to show Gommy her teeth).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome, guys! Well done :)

Anonymous said...

It looks great! Glad you guys did it and not Braden, haha.

Anonymous said...

Hey...I finished it!!
Braden