Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Crap, I better watch my language

Now that Ethan is starting to say a few more words, Blythe likes to tell me what he is or is not saying. Example:
Ethan points at his empty cup and then to the apple juice to tell me he wants more. So I poor him some, then I say, "Say 'Thank you'". And Ethan says "duh duh". And I say "Good!" (because you know, he said 2 syllables, so that counts for something).

So then Blythe will say, "Mom, Ethan didn't say 'thank you'." Either that or she'll cut me off earlier and say, "Ethan doesn't know how to say that". It's no wonder he doesn't say a lot since he has his own personal translator!

Then sometimes she will point out when Ethan does say something, like when we were on our way to the doctor and Ethan said 'doctor'. So yesterday we were in the car and Ethan said "Cah (like Cat, but without the 't'). Blythe says, "Mom...Ethan said 'crap'". Mental note - need to watch what I'm saying. So I say, "No he didn't". She says, "Yes, he did. He said 'CRAP!'". Again, I say no, he didn't. So then I think she senses that maybe she shouldn't say that, so she starts back peddling and saying he said 'cap', then she says he said 'cat' (trying to get back to her sweet, innocent self). Alas, she said her first bad word, but it certainly could have been worse. That day, I'm sure, will come and will likely be really loud and in a public place. Yikes.

No comments: