Saturday, March 21, 2009

"Trike-a-thon"

We have a pretty action-packed day today. This morning at 9am we had gymnastics (yes, I signed Blythe up for another set of 5 Saturdays). This time I made sure to leave the house with plenty of time to find a parking space, but parking was not to be found! At least not anywhere close to the gym anyways. So we had to walk quite far and still ended up late. Oh well. I had Ethan in the backpack again, and I definitely think he is gaining weight. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to lug him around in that.

After gymnastics, we headed to the "trike-a-thon" that Blythe was doing through the day care to raise money for St. Jude's Children's hospital. Blythe asked me at least 20 times what it was we were going to. She kept trying to understand what I was saying (trike-a-thon) and finally conceded that she "didn't know how to say that". Really I signed her up for it because I thought it would be a good opportunity for her to ride her new bike we got her for her birthday (in January) that she hasn't ridden yet. We got pledges from a few family members. Most did flat donations, but Doug and I did a flat donation plus an additional $1 per lap. Doug did it thinking she would do at least 10 laps, I did it knowing she likely wouldn't do any. Here she is on her bike:


which was during the only few seconds she was actually on it. SO - I was right, ZERO laps. The good news was that lots of other kids wanted to try out Blythe's "big kid" bike.

Ethan didn't raise money, but he did get to ride his car too. Except he only knows how to go backwards.

So Blythe spent most of the time on the playground or playing with chalk, but it was still fun. The kids also got free pizza and juice. Blythe dug right in to her pizza and ate a huge slice. That's only worth noting because she WILL NOT eat pizza at home. Honest to God, she won't touch it and usually ends up not even eating dinner when ever we have it.
Anyway, we have a birthday party to go to this afternoon, so both kids went down for naps as soon as we got home. I did have to read Blythe a book before nap...her current favorite book...Little Black Sambo. My "aha" moment of the day - Blythe's favorite book is "Little Black Sambo" and her favorite TV show is "The Charlie Show" (2 and a half men). And I gave her donuts for breakfast (knowing she'd have pizza later and cake and ice cream later too). Am I leading her down the wrong path?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She's so darn cute on her bike... laps or no laps :) That's pretty funny about the pizza too... I wonder if she'd eat it if she got to put all the toppings on one?? Probably can't fool HER though!