Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

I had a great Mother's Day yesterday! Every year they get better as the kids get older and start to actually understand what Mother's Day is. I got to sleep in until 7:45 and the kids woke me up by coming into my room and yelling "Happy Mother's Day". Then they gave me a card that they both made together. Blythe's favorite thing to draw right now is flowers. Ethan likes squiggles.

They had thought of doing breakfast in bed, but my huge belly makes that a little difficult, so I hung out and watched while they cooked breakfast. They decided to tackle bacon, eggs, and french toast, which basically meant Braden had to do them all at the same time. He was unhappy with his performance and gave himself an "F", but I disagreed since most of it was edible. But actually, seeing things not go as smoothly as he hoped made me feel more appreciated. After he fed me and the kids (and Ethan's bottomless pit of a stomach), there was not enough left for Braden. Which happens to me sometimes, so again it's nice to watch someone be in your shoes for a few minutes. It really does make you feel more appreciated than just being told so.

Later in the day I took Blythe to Christiansburg High School where they were putting on the musical "Beauty and the Beast". It was packed and was actually really good, for a high school production. The gal who played Belle was amazing. The show was long though - we were there for about 3 hours. Blythe did well and made it through the whole thing. At intermission she saw some people who had M&M's and said she wanted some. After she mentioned it, I really wanted some too. So we stood in a long line for concessions. The woman 2 people in front of us bought 4 packs of M&M's, then the guy in front of us bought 2 packs. All we wanted was 1 pack to share, but that guy bought the LAST ones! Ugh! What a terrible thing for a pregnant lady and her 4 year old daughter. We had to settle for crackers.

Anyway, after the play we met Braden and Ethan at Red Robin for dinner and then Braden took the kids home while I went to Walmart for groceries. Blythe was exhausted so she went straight to bed after they got home. I was a little bummed because I realized I hadn't spent much time with Ethan on this Mother's Day. But when I got home, he had just gone to bed so I snuck into his room to give him a kiss and hug goodnight. As soon as I walked into his dark room, he lifted his head up and said, "Happy Mother's Day". Awww...such a nice ending to my day!

No comments: