Sunday, February 28, 2010

A poopy morning

Ethan has now learned to open doorknobs (the round kind). Actually, he learned a while ago, but has now perfected his skills. So yesterday morning, rather than hearing him on the monitor talking and playing in his room in the morning, I was surprised by both of my kids at 6:30 when they entered my room. Apparently Ethan got up, went straight to Blythe's room, woke her, then they woke me. Yay.

This morning, I'm not quite sure what happened....whether Ethan tried to wake Blythe first or not, but he came to my room at 6:25am by himself. He said nothing, just crawled into bed and lay beside me. Being as tired as I was, I half tried to go back to sleep, half just lay there. I did smell that he had pooped (as has been his routine most mornings recently). I felt the top back of his diaper to make sure there was no leakage before he would spread it all over my bed. All good. So I just lay next to my stinky son for a while. About 20 minutes later, Blythe came into the room. She too said nothing. Just gave me a fist pump then walked back out. Whatever. Again, I went back to my half-sleep. About 7:15 I got up, wobbled to the bathroom, put my contacts in, and briefly considered showering wondering if the kids would allow me to. Ethan came in the bathroom and then I noticed his jammies were dark along the bottom outskirts of his diaper. So there WAS leakage. Yay. I left my room to go grab him another diaper.

On the way, I looked into the kids bathroom where Blythe was standing...with poop everywhere. Some on the first rug in the bathroom. Some on the floor. Some on Blythe. Some on her jammies. But most in a pile, with her underwear full of poop, on the rug by the toilet. And there was pee all next to the rug as well. And apparently she had spent the last 30 minutes trying to "clean up", which of course did more harm than good....in getting everything else dirty. She had actually managed to get most of it off of herself using toilet paper...at the expense of clogging the toilet (which I would find later). I told her to stand in the bathtub at which time I removed her jammies and threw them in the wash (luckily she had chosen a nightgown and not jammies with pants). Before Ethan could step in anything, I cleaned most of the bathroom floor that wasn't by the toilet. Fortunately the toilet area has it's own door, so I closed it and got Ethan so I could clean him up from his mess and toss him in the tub too. Bathtime went fine except I could still smell the mess in the toilet area and it was making me gag.

Anyway, got the kids bathed and into their robes and out of the bathroom so I could clean the really nasty part. I found a plastic bag and discarded the poopy underwear. I had 3 paper towels left upstairs, so I picked up as much of a mass of poop as I could and threw it in the plastic bag. I tossed the rug into the wash (along with the other rug), thinking if the stain doesn't come out, I'm throwing it away rather than continue trying to clean and then stain-treat this nasty rug. Then I got the pee cleaned up from the floor and then finally I opened the toilet and saw quite a bit of toilet paper. Tried to flush it to no avail, so went downstairs to fetch the plunger. Finally I had the bathroom cleaned and we could get dressed and ready for church.

And I thought, "what if I also had a hungry, screaming newborn to throw into the mix?"

No comments: