Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ethan's shoes

Ethan is quite particular about his shoes these days. Used to be that I would put him in his Nike tennis shoes almost every day. Sometimes the brown "church" shoes if he was wearing khakis or something nice.

But nowadays he refuses to wear the Nike shoes. I will ask him to go get his shoes and every time (if they are in the basket), he will bring back his brown sandles that were hand-me-downs from his friend Luke. He will hand them to me and say "Yook". When it's only 50 degrees out, sandals aren't quite practical, but if he finds them he MUST wear them, so socks and sandals it's been. They don't quite fit with socks though. So now I must hide them.

This means when he searches for shoes, he will then bring back the brown "church" shoes, also hand-me-downs from Luke. So again, he will bring them to me and say "Yook". Since he was wearing a football jersey and matching football sport pants this morning, brown church shoes really would look ridiculous. So I tried to force the Nikes. But he was NOT having it. He would grab them from me and throw them across the room.

Fortunately he had some tennis shoes in his closet that were a size bigger that were hand-me-down's from Frank (our next door neighbor). So these were perfectly fine to wear. And then he would point at his shoes and say "Fank".

Lesson learned - he only likes hand-me-downs. So if I do buy him new shoes, I just need to tell him they were someone else's.

No comments: