Friday, November 20, 2009

The Devil Wears Truck Jammies

Braden is currently out of town for a swim meet. On Wednesday, Blythe's daily sheet at school said she was "Grumpy" and "Tired". Then yesterday, Ethan's sheet said he was "Grumpy". Coincidence? I think not. I think they miss their Daddy.

As you can see from yesterday's post, Blythe continued being grumpy and tired after she got home. Ethan wasn't grumpy that day, but the second we walked through the door at home he became the devil child. Apparently this continued all the way through the school day yesterday, but ended when we were at Blythe's gymnastics class because he could play with his friend Luke. Unfortunately the second he got separated from Luke after class, he became the devil child again. Nothing a little McDonald's can't fix, right? Wrong. Screamed in McDonald's. Didn't want his chicken nuggets. Didn't want his apples. Only wanted Mommy's ice cream. So he screamed "ICE CREAM!" "IIIICCCCEEE CREEEAMMM!!!" "ICE CCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM!" SO embarrassing. So I gave him some ice cream (Blythe too) thinking after that was out of sight, maybe he would eat his dinner. Nope. So basically Blythe and I both had to eat really fast so we could get out of there as quickly as possible.

Then he screamed in the car most of the way home.

I know what you're thinking. I was thinking it too. This would be the PERFECT night to switch him from the comforts and safety of his crib/toddler bed into his new big boy bed in his new big boy room. I mean, seriously, what was I smoking last night? But I moved over his monitor and his sound machine, and his books so he would be forced to sleep in that bed no matter what.

We sat in his new bed and read some stories, which he was fine with. And then I said, "now it's time to go to sleep". So he got out of his bed and went to the hall and started to walk to his old room. So I scooped him up and brought him back to his new room where I tried to force him to stay in his new bed, but he was screaming and crying. Finally I got up and left the room and closed the door with him screaming and crying at the door. I felt bad, but he was just going to have to wear himself out.

I went and tucked Blythe in and spent some time with her and once the crying stopped I went back into his room, hoping to find him asleep on the floor so I could just put him in bed. But I found him half asleep on the step stool up to his bed, so I tried to put him in bed again and again he fought, but this time he was much too tired. So finally he fell asleep on me and then after a while, I was able to move him off and leave the room.

But he did great. He did not fall out of bed and slept until normal time this morning. I had told Blythe last night to go into Ethan's room when she woke up this morning because he might not know where he is. She did exactly as I asked. Such a good big sister! And then when I went in there, I hyped it all up that he slept in his new big boy bed and he seemed very pleased with himself. SO - let's hope tonight goes a little smoother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a big boy!!! I'm betting tonight will be much easier - anyway, I hope so.

Mom