Thursday, May 14, 2009

Anyone want a dog?

A 4 year old white Westie who barks incessantly, isn't good with kids, and pees all over your house? Anyone? Anyone? No? Well, it was worth a try.

That's our Bogie for you. He used to be great. For the 1.5 years he was alive before Blythe started crawling. Ever since then, nightmare. Though he's never bitten anyone (on purpose), he growls at the kids anytime they come near him (or even if they just look like they might come near him). He used to be potty trained too. Anytime we left the house, we'd just leave the dogs out and not have to worry. Nowadays, anytime we leave him out of his kennel when we're gone, he goes on a peeing rampage lifting his leg on the couch, the kids toys, or anything we might have left on the ground. Sometimes he even does this when I'm home in my office working. He has no fear. And yes, I had him checked out to make sure he doesn't have a bladder infection. He doesn't. He's just a jerk.

But I don't really want to get rid of him (though that feeling changes by the hour). I still like him and he does like to cuddle with me when the kids go to sleep and he loves playing with our other dog, Juni. And unlike Juni, he loves playing with dog toys. Sometimes I won't even notice that he brings me toys all day in my office until the end of the day and I look down and there are 5 toys at my feet and I never threw a single one for him.

Anyway, I like him enough to tolerate him for the next 8-10 years (hopefully closer to the 8 side). However yesterday I took him to get his hair cut and there was another woman picking up her Westie. Though I couldn't tell it was a Westie. Because the dog was 19 years old! Holy crap, I may have to deal with Bogie for another 15 years! I was quite discouraged yesterday.

In other news, Ethan went on his first field trip yesterday. 16 one year olds packed in a van to play at the park and have a picnic. Sounds like fun, huh? Actually, I'm glad they are taking them on field trips and I wanted to help to make sure they didn't cancel future planned field trips for lack of parent support. So I went too (along with a few other parents). Though chaotic, it was fun. I tried to get some pictures, but every time I picked up my camera I had to run after Ethan or make sure some other kid didn't fall through the gaping hole on the playground equipment. I got one or two not so great ones. Here is Ethan with his girlfriend Madeleine:

I'm sure they show each other their love by pushing each other down, stealing each other's toys, and occasionally giving each other loving bite marks.

Only problem with me going is that I have to take him back to the daycare afterwards and say goodbye again, which he and his separation anxiety are not very happy about.

Later when he got home, he got to make a mess of himself at dinner which made him very happy.

No comments: