Friday, April 3, 2009

A rough trip home

I finally made it back from New Jersey yesterday morning after a ridiculously awful experience getting home. I was supposed to fly from Newark to Philadelphia to Roanoke starting at 5:45pm. It was raining, so there were delays. Initially they said no connections were in jeopardy but since our plane hadn't even taken off to get to Newark yet, my chances of making my Phili connection were dwindling and there was only one more way to get back to Roanoke that night (through Charlotte). So I got switched to that flight and headed to Charlotte. I had to sit way in the back, apparently in the "English as a second language" section (or "don't speak English at all" section). Whatever. I had my computer and countless hours of work to do, so the time went by quickly. I got to Charlotte and had a leisurely dinner and headed to my Roanoke gate. Got back on my computer and waited for my 10:15pm flight. Then they called everyone who was on the Roanoke flight up to the gate counter. Flight cancelled due to maintenance. And of course it's the last flight out to Roanoke, so my choices were to fly to Lynchburg (which is 50 miles from Roanoke) or stay in Charlotte and fly out the next morning. I really wanted to get home and Braden had to work early the next morning, but getting to Lynchburg would do me no good if my car was in Roanoke. I asked if I could get a rental car and drive instead. The guy next to me said he'd split it with me and the girl behind me suggested we get to Lynchburg and get a rental from there. The Lynchburg flight was leaving in a few minutes and it was conveniently at the same gate the Roanoke flight was at, so I agreed to do that. I got my ticket and called Braden to let him know. That's when I finally looked at my ticket and realized I was actually on the NEXT Lynchburg flight, to leave an hour later out of a far away gate. Geez. So I headed to the far away gate and the guy that said he'd split the rental was already on the phone trying to find a rental in Lynchburg. We found one with Avis. We never saw the other girl again who said she'd split it, so it was just the two of us. Fortunately I checked no bags, but the other guy had and they said they wouldn't make them to Lynchburg, so he'd have to pick them up in Roanoke the next day (which was fine since he also couldn't turn in the rental car in Roanoke that late). So we get to Lynchburg and started driving. About 6 miles down the road, he gets a call from Lynchburg telling him his bags are there. So we turn around. What's another 20 minute delay? So anyway, we finally get to Roanoke, I get my car and drive home and go to bed (at about 3:00am). Then up at 7:00 with the kids. Fun times!

To protect the identities of those involved, I won't mention the airline name (I may or may not have family who work for that airline).

The house was actually pretty clean and Braden had even gotten some painting done while I was gone. He did tell me, "I'm not gonna lie....this house was a WRECK at 9:00pm last night. Toys EVERYWHERE!". At least I didn't have to come to that!

No comments: