Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Earrings

A while ago Blythe asked me about my earrings and why she didn't have earrings. Simple enough - "you're too small and too young to get earrings. You have to be 10 years old." Case closed and we move forward.

Then yesterday as we were sitting at the dinner table, she comes out with "Katlyn is small like me and she has earrings." Oh no, don't say it. "Why can't I have earrings?"

And there it was. It starts so young, this peer pressure!

I tried to come up with something good to tell her, but then I just laughed (because I was thinking this would be the first of MANY times I get to say "Because I'm not so-and-so's mother). And then I did say it..."Katlyn is not my daughter. You are. And I say you have to be 10." Ah, that felt good. And I got no argument. Though I have the sneaky suspicion that this won't be the last time she asks before she turns 10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My rule was you have to be 13, and I caved when you were 10. I think 10 is a good age, and it will give Blythe something to look forward to when she turns 10.

Mom

lynette said...

Definitely a good age to wait until! I almost died when I saw one of the babies in our playgroup with earrings (and she was just 7 months old at the time)!! YIKES.

Anonymous said...

Her dad got one at 15....so I vote for 15 and a day!!!
Braden