Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hi Ma!

So this morning Ethan says to me, "Ma, can I have the keys to the car?" No, actually he just said "Ma"...but it was beautiful! He seemed so proud of himself too (as he should be). He definitely likes this talking stuff. Yesterday they said he was a blabber mouth at day care. Then he was up talking at 4am this morning (just for a little while, then went back to sleep), then again at 6am, before finally getting up for the day at 8am! I can't wait until he's old enough to converse with his sister, though after that comes fighting with his sister and I'm not up for that.

Blythe went to the volleyball game last night with Daddy so they could cheer on the Hokies. The first 300 people to the game got free popcorn, so guess what Blythe had for dinner last night? Oh well. I don't exactly win "Mom of the Year" awards for the foods I feed my children. I'm hoping in time they will learn to like other foods. Blythe is basically a vegetarian except she eats chicken nuggets. Actually she's an "at home" vegetarian. Not a "at the next door neighbor's house" vegetarian or an "at day care" vegetarian. At those places, she'll eat almost anything. Even Ethan - at home I tried to feed him squash baby food. Wouldn't touch the stuff. Spit it out after every bite. At day care - ate almost the whole jar. Though Blythe did seem to have a renewed interest in oatmeal this morning, so maybe we'll at least be able to add that to the "allowable breakfast items".

I dropped the kids off at day care this morning and they were reading a pumpkin patch book, so it brought up the topic of Halloween. Blythe has 4 costumes she could wear this year. But apparently the new administrator at the day care says they can't dress up for Halloween this year. Says if they can't celebrate some holidays, then they can't celebrate any (she must be an Obama supporter). That makes no sense! I guess I get not celebrating the religious holidays (even though probably 98% of the day care is Christian), but Halloween? Valentines Day? Then I asked about the field trip to the pumpkin patch they take every year and they were doubtful that would be allowed. That celebrates Fall. Last time I checked, everyone celebrates Fall. Fortunately I'm a "Room Mom" (whatever that is), so I will be attending a "Room Mom" luncheon next week. I'm sure the other parents feel the same way, so hopefully we can be heard. This new administrator (who's my age) acts like she's the dictator of the day care, and I am not happy about it. There....that's my rant of the day. Now I feel a little better!

No comments: