Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ethan and Brynn update

I've had quite a few posts about Blythe (and actually still have another to post soon), so what have Ethan and Brynn been up to?  How are they adjusting?

Well, they both started at their new school on the same day that Blythe officially started kindergarten.  Braden takes them both to school in the morning and I pick up.  With no traffic, it takes 7-8 minutes to get there.  The first 2 days took me over 20 minutes.  Darn 1-40 and the wrecks that are on that interstate every.freaking.day. There are lots of ways to go to avoid I-40, so just need to check traffic reports before I leave each day.  Anyway, Brynn of course screamed and cried at drop off, but Ethan did well the first couple of days.  He seemed to like it and was playing well when I picked him up.

Then we were home for 3 days for Labor Day weekend.  Long enough for them both to feel like that was just a visit period and they never had to go again.  Braden was gone Tuesday morning, so I had to take them both.  That meant we had to wait for Blythe to get on the bus first.  Ethan and Brynn both (but Ethan especially) LOVED watching Blythe get on the bus.  Both of them did not love getting dropped off at school though.  All last week Ethan had rough drop offs.  But ever since he watched Blythe get on the bus, now he wants to watch her get on the bus every day.  He gets so excited.  Here's a little video clip and he is actually toned down on this particular day.  Usually there is much more waving and "Bye Blythe!" going on.  I love it.  It's so cute.

So I think he's making some new friends at his new school, but as I suspected it will take him the longest of my 3 kids to adjust.  Being in the middle, he's getting a little lost in the shuffle and is acting out some to get some attention.  Hopefully it won't take him that long to adjust and things will settle down.   He's already ALL about the Wolfpack though.  He got a Wolfpack football at Target yesterday and it doesn't leave his side.

As for Brynn...her biggest accomplishment in the last couple of weeks is learning how to go down stairs.  Our new house has 2 staircases (like our last), but both are carpeted.  I figured it wouldn't hurt that much to fall down them and I really didn't want to mess with baby gates, so we didn't put them up.  She fell down (maybe 5 or 6 steps) about 3 times in the first 2 days.  So then she was scared of the stairs.  It was like we had an invisible baby gate.  She would just call for us at the top of the stairs to come and get her (and by that I mean she said, "Eh....Eh....EHHHHH" until we came to get her).  That lasted a few days and then she got brave and figured out how to go down on her belly feet first.  Now she goes really fast.  When she gets out of the bathtub, I try to dry her off, but she runs away from me, out into the hall, and then down the stairs really fast.  She loves being the naked baby on the loose!

She's doing pretty well though.  I might have to have her start taking naps in a pack n play on weekends.  Her room is positioned the worst for noise, so I turn her noise machine way up.  That seems to work, except Ethan has been going into her room and waking her up mid-nap.  Which is pretty awful when you are trying to get organized and unpacked and only have the 3 hour nap window on weekends to do it.

No comments: