Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Caniac Carnival

Braden is pretty busy with recruiting weekends all Fall, so the kids and I need to fill our time with some sort of fun activity on Saturday mornings.  This past weekend's fun activity...flu shots!  No?  Doesn't sound all that exciting?  Maybe I need to work on my delivery because the kids weren't all that excited about them either.  Figured I'd go ahead and knock them out since our new doctor's office was doing clinics every Saturday morning and since all 3 of my kids are healthy right now and I sure know that won't last long with the changing temps.  I told them we just had to drive over there to "check out the new doctor's office".  It was a good trick.  And they even liked the waiting room since there was a kids section.  Blythe sort of caught on and asked if they had to get shots.  I told her "maybe...I have to check".  So at the last minute, I said yes, we need to get shots.  Just one each.  And then the wailing began.

Ethan went first because he's the bravest.  He cried, but held still and then it was over and he was fine.  Blythe was cowering in the hall hoping we'd forget about her.  I had to drag her in there as she was screaming.  She wouldn't hold still and it took 3 adults and a lot of coaxing to make her stay still, but we got it done.  She said, "I'm never, ever, ever going to get a shot ever again in my life".  I told her she didn't have to....until next Fall when she'd get another flu shot.  Brynn went last and was the easiest (probably because she weighs the least and is easiest to restrain).  

Maybe this Saturday we'll find something a little more fun to do.  

But Sunday I was determined to find something fun to do that was actually, um, fun.  I saw on the news in the morning a clip about the "Caniac Carnival".  A kickoff to the Carolina Hurricanes (NHL hockey team) season being held at the RBC Center right up the road.  Braden was just finishing up so he met us there.  This was a really fun event!  TONS of inflatables for the kids, free cotton candy, free popcorn.  Even a Taco Bell mascot (guy dressed as a taco) that gave out free coupons for FREE tacos!  We racked up!  And to top that off admission to the Hurricanes Red/White game for free too!  Brynn was tired before the game, so I left and took her home to nap, but Braden stayed with Blythe and Ethan and they watched 1 period of the game, which was really cool.  They had an exciting entrance and then there was actually lots of scoring.  Plus, they were on the 5th row.  They all came home with not-so-free Carolina Hurricanes goods and apparel.  But they loved it and maybe we'll go back sometime this season for a game or 2.  

Here's the only picture taken.  Blythe looks a little crazy, but you get the idea.  She's wearing her new Canes t-shirt and Ethan has his new Canes padded hockey stick.

The rest of the weekend was filled with house projects.  The never ending list of house projects.

1 comment:

lynette said...

Flu shots sound like a blast, but the carnival sounds like it was a little more fun :)