Friday, December 3, 2010

A Beary Good Thanksgiving

Okay, so my title is cheesy, but we saw a BEAR...a real, live, giant 500 pound black bear. We headed out to Cashiers to spend Thanksgiving with Grams and Peep and after a delicious Thanksgiving meal, I thought I'd walk off a bit of it by pushing Brynn in the stroller and telling Blythe to "hurry up" as she walked slowly behind me. We were all suited up and Brynn was in the stroller, when a car drove by and said, "We just saw a big bear walk across the street". This is broad daylight, mind you. So I said, "hmmm...probably a walk with my 2 daughters is not such a good idea". So we went back in and told the others about the bear. The other fearless adults all ran out to go get a look at him. His name is Wheeler and he's been in the area for years rummaging through trash most nights. Grams and Peep had seen him at night but never during the day.

They found him settled down a hill, about 100 feet from the road. So a small crowd formed on the road just watching him down there. They came back to the house to get cameras, and then Dan, a family friend, took my camera and got within probably 15 feet of the bear. The bear clearly preferred the peanut butter jar over Dan.



Beautiful creature.



Anyway, we also had our Christmas with Grams and Peep while we were there. Kind of nice to have such an early Christmas because the kids can really enjoy the stuff they got. Ethan is loving his Thomas the Train matching game (I think we've played it almost every night) and his Automoblox cars.


Blythe loves her Leapster game and her fairy outfit.


And Brynn loves, well she loves her mommy, but she doesn't mind being a fairy either.


On Saturday, Blythe and Ethan went out with Grams, Peep, and Braden to find a Christmas tree they could bring back to Louisiana. It was a little on the cold side!


Anyway, it was a fun trip filled with some DELICIOUS food! Trying to work some of it off, which is hard because it's SNOWING here. I used to like snow until last winter. Now I don't like it so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dan Rodriguez here...Jon told me I was on the internet blog.
I have made the discs of both your pics and Beth's. Will drop them off at her house on Tuesday.
Later.................Dan