Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer League Championships

Yesterday we had our summer league championships...marking the END of the summer league season. I was so excited for Blythe and I to do summer league swimming this year so it would be a fun activity she and I could do together. But through the process of Braden first interviewing at NC State, then getting the job, unfortunately he was only here for 1 of the 5 regular meets this season. My mom was here for 2 of them, so between those 3, I was able to swim at 3 of them. The 4th one it was just me and the 3 kids. We showed up and there was a thunder/lightning delay, so we just left. Brynn wouldn't have made it very long, so why bother. On the 5th one, it was me and the 3 kids again. We made it through the meet, but just Blythe swam. We didn't make it to a whole lot of practices, but did make an effort to go at least once, sometimes twice, a week.

Fortunately the championships were on a Saturday, so Braden was here and could entertain Brynn and Ethan in the stands while Blythe and I swam. Blythe had to swim 3 events: 50 free, 25 back, and 25 free. She had never swum the 50 free before and it was first. Tired her out for the whole meet probably. She did well though and swam it in 1:33. Backstroke was...crap, I don't remember. I do know she didn't turn over, so she did not get DQ'ed. 25 free was 43 seconds.




I managed to make it through 4 events (50 fly, 50 breast, free relay, and 100 IM). Setting meet records (for 30-39 year old division) in the 50 breast and 100 IM. Yes, apparently a 37.0 in the breast is a meet record. 1:08 in the 100 IM. 29.5 in the fly (which was not a meet record). And holy moly was I sore and exhausted after that! I felt like I got hit by a truck. But then to make matters worse, I must have gotten food poisoning from a McDouble I got on the way home from the meet. So late afternoon/evening was no fun for me (or for Braden for that matter since he then took all 3 kids grocery shopping with him).

But summer league is over. I am very proud of Blythe for trying so hard and doing so well. I'm not sure that she loved it, but she never complained and I think she had a pretty good time. Next year we'll be in Raleigh for summer league and I'm pretty sure 6 & unders don't have to swim a 50 free there. Maybe someone will even teach her how to swim breaststroke between now and then!

No comments: