Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New school

Yesterday was Blythe and Ethan's first day at their new school. Both were really excited to go. Since it was the first day and they didn't know yet what to expect, I anticipated drop off would not be too bad. I was right. Blythe's best friend Ashley was already there when we got there, so it was no issue for her at all. And she had a great day (aside for the fact she hardly ate...it really wasn't a great menu day). Ethan didn't know anyone in his class. His friend Luke (Ashley's brother) is already 3, so he's in the 3's room while Ethan is in the 2's room until he turns 3 in March. When we picked him up from school yesterday, he was sad/kind of crying when we got there. They said he was happy at times and sad at times. Poor guy.

So this morning when it was time to go to school, Ethan said, "I already went to the new school yesterday. I want to go to my other school." Ugh, times like these are hard. I knew today's drop off for Ethan would be much harder. And I was right. He didn't cry, but I knew he was sad. And we saw Luke crying in the 3's room too. I told Ethan's teachers that his friend was in the 3's room and it might benefit them both to see each other at some point during the day.

Apparently Ethan was kind of sad much of today as well. He has started getting attached to one of his teachers though. So this afternoon the school called and asked if I thought it would be okay to go ahead and move him to the 3's room since he's pretty advanced, already all potty trained, and so it would avoid having another transition just about right after he gets through this one. I was so relieved! I think it will make his transition much better to be in a room where he already has a friend. So anyway, hoping tomorrow is better than today or yesterday.

I'm sure by the end of the week, we'll be pretty good. And then Brynn's transition will come next week. OMG, totally dreading that one. She's in the height of stranger anxiety right now, so should be totally awesome. She was even a little apprehensive about going back to her old daycare yesterday after being home with me for almost 2 weeks. Guess she thought that arrangement might be permanent!

Well, we'll take it one day at a time!

No comments: