Friday, June 17, 2011

Blythe's first swim meet

Blythe had her first ever swim meet last night.
It was so fun to experience her very first swim meet since she had no idea really what was going on. I made sure not to really volunteer for anything so I could make sure Blythe was in the right place at the right time and I actually had time to explain everything to her.

Here's how the meets here work for 6 & unders: 5 total meets and 1 Championship meet. Events at each meet:
Meet 1 - 25 free, 25 back, 4x25 free relay
Meet 2 - 25 back, 25 breast, 50 free
Meet 3 - 25 free, 25 fly, 25 back, 4x25 free relay
Meet 4 - 25 back, 25 breast, 50 free
Meet 5 - 25 free, 25 fly, 25 back, 4x25 free relay

Yes, my friends, 6 & unders have to swim 50 free and 25 fly. A little ambitious if you ask me. But they don't have to swim all of the events if they don't want to. So anyway, last night was 25 free, 25 back, and the relay.
25 free - she did great! Got 5th place (out of about 8) and her time was 46.28 (it's meters)
25 back - DQ She did so great and swam the WHOLE thing on her back and then turned over at the very end. It was about 55 seconds I think.
relay - she was on an 8 & under relay, so was definitely the slowest, but did okay. I think she was quite tired by then.

In this league, adults can swim too. I only have to compete against 30-39 year olds (which there aren't many of), but swim in heats with 15 & up. I was in heat 1 on both events since I had no time. Due to lack of much competition, I won both events - 50m free (31.33) and 50m back (37.28). Pretty stellar, huh?

Blythe was pretty excited this morning at practice to get her ribbons. She got a green one (5th place) and a purple one (participant...DQ). She said hers were better than mine because she got different colors and I only got blue.

Anyway, here's a video clip of the 25 backstroke. The 25 free was her better event, but the video didn't turn out so great.

1 comment:

ekf said...

I love her attitude - mine are better since I got two different colors! love it!